Smith likely to greenlight separation referendum despite Judge’s ruling, Nenshi says
Posted May 19, 2026 2:08 pm.
Last Updated May 19, 2026 6:47 pm.
Could a separation question make it on Alberta’s fall referendum after all? The province’s opposition party says all signs point to the governing UCP pushing the question forward this week.
NDP leader Naheed Nenshi, speaking on Tuesday, says there is currently no legal path to a separation referendum unless Premier Danielle Smith decides to move forward with one herself — adding that she has reportedly bought airtime for a province-wide TV address on Thursday evening.
Nenshi also pointed to a special committee with a majority of UCP members, scheduled to discuss the future of the Forever Canadian petition on Wednesday, a day before the premier would reportedly give her address.
“She is the premier because she made a deal with the separatists,” Nenshi said. “And now the other shoe is dropping. The premier is giving in to the separatists to save her own political skin.”
Last week, an Alberta judge threw out a separatist referendum petition, ruling the Smith government had a duty to consult with First Nations.
Smith called the decision “incorrect” and “anti-democratic,” and floated the idea of appealing it.
Lawyers for several First Nations have argued that the province’s referendum process and its use by separatists are unconstitutional, as there’s no requirement for Indigenous consultation. They have also said that separation would violate treaty rights.
Nenshi has echoed those sentiments and said Tuesday that a referendum on separation will negatively impact the province’s economy and “break apart our country.”
“Albertans don’t want a separatist referendum,” he says.
Stay Free Alberta handed in its petition earlier this month and claimed that it had nearly 302,000 names, well above the 178,000 signature requirement.
Smith had said that if the petition received enough verified signatures, the group’s question would be put on the ballot this fall.
Thomas Lukaszuk, a former Alberta deputy premier, spearheaded a pro-federalist “Forever Canadian” petition, which had just over 400,000 signatures verified by election officials in December.
Earlier this year, Smith announced an October referendum that, so far, will only ask Albertans to weigh in on changes to immigration policy and potential constitutional reforms.
There are currently nine “yes or no” questions that will be put to Albertans on Oct. 19.
CityNews has reached out to the premier’s office to confirm whether there will be an address this week.
With files from The Canadian Press