Albertans will have to pay $100 for COVID-19 shots
Posted August 22, 2025 2:12 pm.
Last Updated August 23, 2025 7:59 am.
The Alberta government said Friday that everyone not covered by the province will have to pay up with a $100 “administration” fee for the COVID-19 shot.
People in the first phase of the program will be able to book appointments for the shot on Oct. 1, with phase two beginning Oct. 20 for everyone else, which will cost a $100 administration fee.
The province says appointments will remain open for booking for both phases “as long as supplies last or until the end of the respiratory virus season.”
The plan was announced in June, saying anyone not immunocompromised or on social programs will need to pay for the shot.
Additionally, after pushback from groups such as public health experts and health-care unions, who called it irresponsible to force front-line workers to pay for protection in the workplace, the government changed policy to cover the cost for healthcare workers.
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith said the change came from the Health Sciences Association of Alberta, which reached a tentative bargaining agreement last week.
“In consultation with other unions, they wanted to be able to offer it to their members. It won’t be mandatory. It’ll be certainly by choice,” she said Thursday at another event.
Smith said during the respiratory virus season, hospital settings are exposed to COVID-19, influenza, and respiratory syncytial virus or RSV.
“Any health-care professional who wants to take an extra measure of protection, we’re happy to support them on that,” she said.
Now the list of those covered by the government in phase one includes healthcare workers, home care clients, all residents of continuing care homes and seniors homes, the homeless, people 65 and over receiving the Alberta Seniors Benefit, and those who are immunocompromised.
This comes as public health-care advocates and the Alberta NDP have been calling for further expansion of coverage, including to all seniors.
Opposition Leader Naheed Nenshi says it’s wrong to make Albertans pay for the vaccine and says the policy must be “reversed immediately.”
“Albertans deserve the same access to this vaccine that every other Canadian gets. The UCP government should make public health a priority by setting up a free registration system to get everyone the vaccine who wants it. This will help reduce the burden on our hospitals this fall,” he said.
“If the UCP government were truly concerned about waste in health care, they wouldn’t be bleeding millions on their Turkish Tylenol stockpile and bloated CorruptCare contracts.”
The B.C. government announced Albertans travelling to the province will be eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine at no cost. However, they won’t be able to receive them at pharmacies, and B.C. residents are prioritized. Albertans will need to make an appointment to receive one.
The Manitoba government said out-of-province visitors are welcome to get their vaccine free of charge.
The Saskatchewan government said its fall immunization plans were still in the works and wouldn’t say whether it would offer the shot to Albertans for free. Residents of Lloydminster, which straddles the Alberta-Saskatchewan boundary, can access the publicly-funded vaccine.
Meanwhile, the Alberta government is asking residents to use the Alberta Vaccine Booking System on its website to register for an appointment until Sept. 30. Those who do will receive a text or email notification in October asking them to make an appointment and confirm eligibility.
With files from The Canadian Press