Autopsy confirms homicide in north Edmonton shooting
Posted February 20, 2026 4:19 pm.
An autopsy has confirmed a 38-year-old man found injured in north Edmonton last week died from gunshot wounds, and his death is now being investigated as a homicide.
Officers with the Edmonton Police Service responded to reports of a shooting around 1:45 p.m. on Monday, in the area of 109 Street and 166 Avenue in the city’s Castle Downs neighbourhood.
Police said officers located Alinur Mohamed Mussa, 38, suffering from gunshot wounds.
“Upon arrival, they found an injured male and lifesaving measures were administered by both EPS and EMS,” police said.
Mussa was transported to hospital, where he was later declared deceased.
An autopsy has since determined he died as a result of gunshot wounds. The death is being investigated as a homicide by EPS.
Earlier that day, officers closed Castle Downs Road between 100 Street and 112 Street as part of the investigation. Multiple police vehicles were seen in the area, along with a black GMC SUV that had its passenger-side window smashed.
Police have not released further details about suspects. The investigation remains ongoing.