EDMONTON (660 NEWS) — Alberta will provide an update on the provincial back to school plans at 3 p.m. Tuesday after schools were shut down earlier this year due to COVID-19 pandemic.
Premier Jason Kenney said during Question Period Monday that the province would outline its strategy.
“The minister of education will be outlining a comprehensive plan for the safe reopening September based on extensive consultations,” Kenney said.
In June, Education Minister Adriana LaGrange announced guidelines on reopening schools come September.
The province is considering three scenarios: full reopening, a hybrid option of in-person classes and learning from home, and a third option of keeping students at home.
LaGrange said all school boards need to be ready to transition to a different scenario depending on the COVID-19 situation.
LaGrange also said the scenario will be decided by the government and each school board will not be able to pick and choose which option best suits that school.
Schools will need to follow certain health guidelines when the school year resumes, which includes frequent hand washing and sanitizing before and after entering schools and classes.