Rajah Maggay launches municipal campaign in Edmonton Ward Nakota Isga

Posted March 30, 2025 4:43 pm.
Last Updated March 31, 2025 8:08 am.
Edmonton’s West-end Ward Nakota Isga has been represented by the city’s longest-serving councillor, Andrew Knack, since 2013. In the fall of last year, Knack announced that he would not be seeking re-election in October 2025 and would step down from his position at that time.
On Sunday, Rajah Maggay, a staff member in Knack’s office, officially launched her campaign to replace him as councillor.
“My name’s Rajah Maggay, and I have been a long-time resident and community member in Ward Nakota Isga,” said Maggay. “For the last five years, I have been working at City Hall, helping residents, and now I’m ready to step up and do more.”
Maggay says her parents immigrated over 30 years ago from the Philippines to Edmonton, where she grew up in the ward she is now running in.
“They chose Edmonton to build their life, and it’s where I choose every day to build mine. I have such a deep love for this city,” said Maggay. “And I also want to have a say in what it looks like.”
As a staff member in Knack’s office, Maggay says she has learned a lot from him. Knack himself was in the room for her official announcement, attending her campaign launch on Sunday.
“The biggest thing I’ve learned is that municipal issues and municipal politics are really where you get work that impacts people’s everyday lives,” said Maggay. “And it’s all about connecting with them, really engaging with them, because that’s what impacts their everyday life. From transit to libraries to rec centers, it’s the very everyday things, and if those don’t work, people will really tell you.”
There has been speculation that Knack will seek the mayor’s seat, as current Edmonton mayor Amarjeet Sohi launches a federal campaign in hopes of winning a Liberal seat in Edmonton.
Knack, however, says he won’t confirm or deny those rumors just yet but has not ruled out running for mayor.