Prior concerns raised about crosswalk where 71-year-old man was killed: councillor
Posted October 3, 2023 4:46 pm.
Police say a 71-year-old man was killed after being struck by a pickup truck while crossing the street in southeast Edmonton Tuesday morning.
The Edmonton Police Service says it received a report of a serious collision involving a pedestrian and a truck around 6:25 a.m.
Police believe the victim was crossing 17 Street at 19 Avenue using a marked crosswalk when he was struck by a Ford F350 truck driving northbound on 17 Street.
EMS responded and treated the pedestrian, who died of his injuries on scene.
The 57-year-old man driving the pickup truck remained on the scene. He was not injured.
Police do not believe speed nor impairment were factors in the collision.
The EPS major collision investigations section is investigating.

Scene of fatal collision at 17 Street at 19 Avenue in southeast Edmonton Oct. 3, 2023. (Laura Krause, CityNews)
The city councillor for the area is sending her condolences to the family of the victim.
Coun. Jo-Anne Wright says she had been hearing concerns about that intersection and had brought them to the city’s safe mobility team.
“It was a priority intersection that was identified for signalization, it was being planned for 2024. Unfortunately, that wasn’t soon enough,” Wright told CityNews.
The Sspomitapi Ward councillor plans to work with the city to bring in temporary measures to help residents feel safe, while working towards permanent signaling changes.
—With files from Carly Robinson