Hundreds gather for funeral of Edmonton teen Karanveer Sahota

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration 1:03
Loaded: 15.59%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 1:03
 
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • en (Main), selected

    Search for survivors continues four days after Myanmar quake

    UP NEXT:

    Friends and loved ones gathered Sunday afternoon to mourn the loss of an Edmonton teen who died after being assaulted outside his school.

    Hundreds of people paid their respects Sunday to the family of the Edmonton teenager who was stabbed to death outside his school earlier this month.

    The body of Karanveer Sahota, 16, lay in an open casket at the front of the room at the southeast Edmonton funeral home.

    About 200 people filled the main room, and several hundred more watched a livestream of the proceedings from an adjacent room at the funeral home.

    Meanwhile dozens more kept trickling in throughout the afternoon to honour the deceased.

    The community in mourning then made its way to a prayer service at the Gurudwara Shri Guru Singh Sabha on Millwoods Road South later Sunday.

    “A gentle soul from the very beginning, it was clear that Karanveer’s interest were in taking care of others,” read a note handed out at the funeral, honouring the teenager. “Our Karanveer’s life was cut short, but the impression he left on everyone’s lives will never be forgotten.

    “A fighter until the end, Karanveer will forever be loved and remembered by his parents, Satnam and Amandeep, and sister, Riya.”

    Slain Edmonton teen's family asking for suspects to be tried as adults
    Edmonton police announced April 22nd that all seven youth suspects in the investigation behind Karanveer Sahota’s death were arrested and charged with second-degree murder. Sarah Chew reports on the reactions of the victim’s family.
    Video Player is loading.
    Current Time 0:00
    Duration 2:37
    Loaded: 0.00%
    Stream Type LIVE
    Remaining Time 2:37
     
    1x
      • Chapters
      • descriptions off, selected
      • en (Main), selected

      Sahota was waiting for the bus outside McNally High School on April 8 when he was allegedly assaulted by seven teenagers. An autopsy determined he was stabbed in the chest. He died of his injuries in hospital April 15.

      Seven people were charged with second-degree murder. They range in age from 14 to 17.


      RELATED:


      On Saturday, the boy’s family said it was relieved with the charges. “But we know we have a long way ahead,” one of Sahota’s cousins said.

      A vigil is planned for Friday night outside McNally High School.

      Top Stories

      Top Stories

      Most Watched Today