Loading articles...

Online publication retracts allegations following cease-and-desist letter from Premier Kenney

Last Updated Jun 11, 2021 at 5:08 pm MDT

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney and Quebec Premier Francois Legault leave a press conference in Ottawa on Friday, Sept. 18, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

EDMONTON – Following a cease-and-desist letter from Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, an online publication has rolled back some of the allegations it made that the premier had been secretly flouting lockdown rules.

On Thursday, the premier said the government’s legal counsel had sent a cease-and-desist letter to the Western Standard, an online news outlet run by former UCP MLA Derek Fidebrandt, demanding a full retraction and apology for the story.

Kenney said the allegations were “completely false and a fabrication from beginning to end.”

RELATED:

 

The lawyer’s letter, obtained by 660 NEWS, says the article is “pure speculation.”

“The article is nothing more than a sensational political hit piece,” reads the letter from lawyer Steven Dollansky.

The article has since been amended to say only that unnamed sources from inside the UCP allege Kenney held private gatherings in violation of the government’s COVID-19 restrictions.

Earlier this week, Kenney apologized after photos surfaced of him, along with members of the UCP caucus, dining together on a rooftop patio of the so-called Sky Palace in Edmonton.

“There’s no doubt that over the course of the evening people came within the two meters distance that is laid out in the public health guidelines. And I regret that. I regret that perception,” Kenney had said.