EDMONTON (660 NEWS) – Parents will soon have a better idea about Alberta’s back-to-school plan.
The province’s Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, and Education Minister Adriana LaGrange will host a joint conference Tuesday morning to provide an update on safety measures for the school re-entry plan.
Many parents, though, said they’re still anxious about the plan. That was made clear in a Q&A session between the province and parents last week.
“This re-entry plan that we have has been developed in conjunction with our education partners and the expert guidance of Dr. Hinshaw and her team,” said LaGrange during that session. “We believe it’s a very solid plan and we look forward to welcoming our students back in a very safe manner.”
Some parents feel not enough is being done to protect their kids, with concerns rising after a case was confirmed in St. Francis High School over the summer session.
“We knew that with students going back to school in person that it’s inevitable that we will have some cases of COVID and there will be some exposures at school,” said Dr. Hinshaw. “That’s something that is going to be possible to avoid when we have in-person classes.”
Education Minister & #Alberta's Top Doc expected to update on how the province will keep students & staff safe as in-person classes are back in Sept. Not much is known about the 9a update, but we've heard concerns from parents that they feel not enough is being done #yyc @660NEWS pic.twitter.com/oFyfMCDdgX
— Saif Kaisar (@StaySaif) August 4, 2020
The update on the return-to-school plan will begin at 9:00 a.m. Tuesday.