Loading articles...

Suspect in Rideau Hall breach was heavily armed, threatened Justin Trudeau, court documents claim

Last Updated Jul 6, 2020 at 12:17 pm MDT

FILE - The man accused of storming the grounds of Rideau Hall on July 2 has been arrested and charged. (Chris Kurys, 1310 NEWS)

The man accused of ramming the gates of Rideau Hall last week was apparently heavily armed, court documents claim

A sworn statement from an RCMP officer claims Corey Hurren threatened to cause death or bodily harm to Justin Trudeau

Corey Hurren is currently facing 22 charges

OTTAWA – The suspect who allegedly drove his truck through a gate at Rideau Hall last week was heavily armed and threatened the prime minister, according to new court documents.

The documents detail the police accusations against Corey Hurren, a 46-year-old active member of the military.

Hurren is facing 22 charges.

He’s said to have rammed his truck onto the property on Thursday, and was apparently carrying two shotguns, a rifle, and a revolver at the time. The documents add Hurren threatened to “cause death or bodily harm” to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

An RCMP officer claims the rifle in Hurren’s possession was a prohibited M14, and that Hurren also had a prohibited high-capacity magazine.

After gaining access to the Rideau Hall estate, police say Hurren made his way around the property for about 13 minutes before being contained by officers. He was arrested after an hour and a half of negotiations.

Related stories: 

Neither Trudeau, his family, nor Governor General Julie Payette were home at the time of the security breach.

“I want to stress that there was never any danger to the prime minister and his family, nor to the governor general, as neither were on the grounds at the time of the incident,” RCMP Deputy Commissioner Mike Duheme said Friday.

Reports suggest Hurren had driven from Manitoba to Ottawa to speak to the prime minister about COVID-19. Police are aware of a possible motive, but are not releasing it at this time.

Hurren’s first court appearance was last week. He remains in custody until his next appearance, which is scheduled for July 17.

None of the charges have been proven in court.