Loading articles...

Canada not ruling out following U.S. steps with Huawei ban

Last Updated May 15, 2019 at 12:17 pm MST

An information board for employees' shuttle bus is on display near the Huawei office building at its research and development centre in Dongguan in south China's Guangdong province on December 18, 2018. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Andy Wong)

OTTAWA (NEWS 1130) – The federal government is not taking any option off the table, as U.S. President Donald Trump is reportedly set to sign a new executive order to ban American companies from doing business with Chinese telecom giant Huawei.

The new order reportedly also includes a ban from doing business with any other companies that are deemed a national security threat.

The Trudeau government is currently reviewing Huawei’s application to be a part of the new 5G network. Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says they are not ruling out similar action for Canada.

RELATED: Trump U.S. Senate ally says Kovrig, Spavor face ‘harsh’ treatment in China

“We obviously pay careful attention to what our allies are saying and doing,” Goodale adds. “Some have expressed views, others have not, we’ll take all of that into account. But we want to make the very best decision for Canada.”

The U.S. has been pressuring allies to follow their lead on Huawei.

“We haven’t taken any final decisions yet,” he adds. “We’re weighing all of these factors very carefully to ensure that Canadian interests are properly protected and properly advanced.”

Canada, the U.S. and China have been locked in tense trade and diplomatic disputes since the Huawei CFO was arrested in Vancouver in December.

Goodale has previously said a decision on Huawei will be made before the fall election. When asked about a timeline he says they will take the time to get it right.