EDMONTON (660 NEWS) – With the prime minister scheduled to speak with U.S. President Joe Biden Friday, Alberta’s premier is pushing for stronger action on the Keystone XL pipeline.
Biden signed an executive order on his first day in office Wednesday, cancelling a presidential permit for the pipeline which would carry oil from Alberta to the Gulf Coast.
Along with sacrificing jobs, the province is now on the hook for more than $1 billion, as Premier Jason Kenney and the UCP government made a large investment to ensure it is built.
Kenney has sent a two-page to Prime Minster Trudeau saying he needs to show firm support for the energy sector, and pressure Biden to change his mind.
My letter to Prime Minister Trudeau on the #KeystoneXL pipeline.
We must find a path to a reconsideration of #KXL within broader context of a North American energy & climate agreement.
If that does not happen, the federal government must stand up for our energy sector workers. pic.twitter.com/aqQiZR2C8T
— Jason Kenney (@jkenney) January 22, 2021
“Just as your government stood up for Canadian aluminum and steelworkers when faced with an unfair U.S. tariff in 2018, it is imperative that you take action for the thousands more workers in the energy sector and their vast contributions to the Canadian economy,” the letter reads.
Earlier this week Kenney called for the Biden administration to speak to Alberta on the future of the Keystone XL project and recommended the federal government introduce economic sanctions if that does not happen.
Kenney said the cancellation sets a dangerous precedent and it was an offensive decision.
He added the Canadian government should compensate TC Energy and the provincial government to cover financial losses.
Following news of the plan to cancel the project, TC Energy said it would halt construction on the pipeline while it revaluates. That decision will result in about 1,000 job losses, according to the company.