Loading articles...

21-year-old suspect in Sherwood Park double explosions identified

Last Updated Nov 8, 2018 at 6:59 pm MST

Kane Kosolowsky has been identified as the suspect in a pair of explosions in Sherwood Park, Alta. Credit - Facebook
Summary

The 21-year-old died due to a gunshot wound, according to RCMP


21-year-old Kan Kosolowky's family issued a statement saying it is an unexpected incident and out of character


RCMP are still unsure of any motive behind the explosions


Sherwood Park (CityNews) – The RCMP has identified a man who died after two explosions at a county office near Edmonton.

WATCH: Carly Robinson has more from Sherwood Park after the name of a suspect was released

Mounties say an autopsy was performed on 21-year-old Kane Kosolowsky Thursday and that he died of a gunshot wound after a pair of explosions in Sherwood Park.

Investigators earlier released that the man had been injured and sent to hospital and that it was not related to an interaction with police.

Kosolowsky was the only person found at the scene of two blasts at a complex that houses Strathcona County civic offices, a library and a restaurant.

READ MORE: Man dead after two explosions in Sherwood Park

The 21-year-old’s family has released a statement that read:

We, the family of Kane Kosolowsky, are shocked and devastated by the unfortunate incident that took place on November 6, 2018. We are working in cooperation with the RCMP to assist in any capacity with the investigation.  We are thankful that there were no other persons harmed in this unexpected incident.  The events that occurred are totally out of character for Kane and we trust that the authorities will continue a thorough investigation to provide the answers we are all seeking. 

At this time we ask for privacy.

Police say the motive remains unclear but added that Kosolowsky is not connected to any group or ideology.

The RCMP also said there was no known threat to any schools in the nearby area.

The parkade will remain closed by police, but roadblocks are expected to be removed soon.

The Explosive Disposal Unit and RCMP Special Tactical Operations unit has declared the area outside of the parkade safe but is keeping the community hall closed for the time being.

The county’s mayor, Rod Frank, said the county will eventually review security measures at the facility.

Members of the RCMP asked the public to continue not to speculate as the investigation continues.